Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Kenneth Mark Hoover, Writer 2.0

I'm not saying I'm putting aside all my old stories. There are one or two that might be salvageable. Heck, I sold an old story as a reprint a couple of weeks ago, but can't say anything specific about it right now because the magazine is still being put together. But I think that story might be the exception, at least as far as my older stories go, than the rule.

You see, when I made the decision to write nothing but short stories this year I was also making a conscious effort to reboot my writing career. I looked at my old stories that had not sold and decided I have moved on in a lot of different ways. I'm not saying they don't have any intrinsic value, because they do. I just decided they don't portray the voice I have now, and the voice I'm using now, the story I'm telling now. Or trying to. That's all.

So, yeah, I've rebooted myself. And so far I've been satisfied with what I've written and what I've been able to sell. And the inroads I've made with a few through these new stories. Even rejections, when viewed in that light, are valuable.

I don't know if what I'm doing is smart in the long run. Maybe I shouldn't be trunking all these unsold stories from last year and beyond. But I've done it anyway and I'm concentrating on all new stuff, at least for the remainder of this year. And it's kinda worked.

Yeah. I'm pretty happy with Kenneth Mark Hoover, Writer 2.0 so far.

So far.

No comments: