Sunday, August 3, 2008

Diminishing Returns

I'm thinking about quitting and not for the first time. I'm...tired. Tired of the hoops I have to jump through, tired of the postage, tired of being treated like a POS by agents and editors alike, tired of writers themselves not willing to stand up to the publishers who take them for granted and therefore make everything harder on those of us who view this as art.

It's not worth it. I don't know if it's ever been worth it. I've become hard pressed of late to see any value in sitting alone in front of a computer screen for hours on end with absolutely NO guarantee of worthwhile outcome. And since self-publishing is an absolute anathema to me...well, that pretty much leaves quitting as my only option.

It's not that I don't believe I can't sell another story or even another novel. I just don't see the value in it any longer. It doesn't mean anything to me. It's not as important as it once was to me. I just don't CARE about it any more.

I wasted two years and three novels and got nowhere with them. That's a huge investment in time and energy and for what? Nothing. Absolutely nothing.

It's really got me bummed.

I'm not posting this on my other LJ. This is just for here. But it's how I feel lately, and no amount of quotations can change that right now.

No comments: