Saturday, January 10, 2009

Queries and Tigers and Bears, oh, my!

One thing I would like to see is some sort of standardization with queries. Seriously. Some agents want a query letter and synopsis and first three chapters. Some want query and synopsis. Some want just the query -- email only, please. Some want query snail mailed. Some want query, a three page synopsis and first ten pages of the manuscript. Some....

Well, you get the idea. A writer friend of mind was telling me how she was mailing out queries and practically every agent she was contacting wanted it done differently. "Jump through that hoop, monkey writer dog...."

Of course, I don't know how you would implement said process. Even though we have standardization in format for manuscripts the query thing would be more difficult to enforce since it reflects agents' desires. I get that.

But, yeah, anything that makes *my* life easier I'm all for.

No comments: